Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 5 It's Official

Today was the official day that Kinley Yayun became the newest Galbierz family member! No pomp and circumstance but just a couple of meetings with Chinese officials agreeing that we will take good care of her. I have heard from other BTDT parents that one of the questions is that if you already have children why would you want any more. I didn't remember that from adopting Liam (let's just say I have forgotten a LOT in the last 3 years). In any case, I always thought of it as simply a question they had to ask to fill it in on their form. We weren't prepared for the look in the man's eyes when he asked it through his broken English. He looked truly perplexed that we have 4 other children and are adding yet another. We presume he is the same guy who asks every family this question and we know of some other families who have adopted 2 or even 3 children to their already large families. Maybe I am over analyzing this?

Our appointment was in the morning which left the rest of our day open. We stopped by a market that housed a grocery on the lower level and a department store on the upper levels. Jenna thus far has been absorbing everything with a somewhat knowing confidence. She has lived this trip through other's experiences and seemed pretty prepared for what she would encounter. However, the smells of a Chinese market are something that cannot be conveyed through other's words. She quickly adapted to what we call the "snorkel breathing technique" but is now forever changed.

In just 24 hours we have seen already some changes in Kinley (we are calling her Yayun-her Chinese name for now). Yesterday I imagine she was most likely in survival mode most of the day. When she woke this morning she looked apprehensive at best but no tears. She let me hold her and just molded herself into my body. After about 15 minutes she sat up and was ready to proceed with the day. She is VERY capable but at the same time we are trying to teach her we are here to meet her needs. She sat between Steve and me at breakfast and enjoyed noodles with pak choy to which she picked out every piece of pak choy LOL. She also enjoyed some fresh fruit and loved the apple juice.

She has been so much more animated today and is either clearly talking to us (google translate is NO where fast enough) or singing. Our jaws dropped when she broke out in the ABC's for her sister on Skype. She has quite the repertoire of songs. If she isn't talking, she is often talking under her breath. She repeats all our names, "mama, baba, jiejie, gege" and will look at each of us as she says them.

The relationship between Kinley and Liam has grown in this short time as well. Yesterday she was less aware of him but today they have been playing together. They have each shared with one another from stringing beads, to snacks and at the Koi pond where they shared crackers to feed the fish. Tonight they took turns on the slide in the play room.

While it is sweet to hear her say our names and to see her share with Liam, we know this is a long journey. She may know the words mama and baba but I don't expect that she understands what those roles mean. More likely is that we are glorified care givers at this time. I imagine Liam seems to be just another child in her orphanage. It will take time and compassion and lots and lots of love for her to understand what a mom and dad can a brother and a sister are. That's okay, we have all of those to offer.






5 comments:

  1. I seriously check your blog a few times a day. I have no words other than our God is so good and so big. I love you all! Paige, I can't wait to hug you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Miss Kinley is doing SO WELL! And how beautiful she looks in her dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige, she is so sweet! I'm so happy for you! And I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please please please, blogger, let me post!

    Oh, Paige, I hope you have gotten my emails because I am having such a hard time posting a comment...trying again because I so want you to know how seeing Kinley in your arms and surrounded by her Forever Family fills me with such JOY! Kinley could not be more precious. Oh my gosh, what a fabulous smile!!! :) I know what an emotional time this is for each one of you...it is exhilarating and exhausting at the same time...but you can just feel the love right through the camera lens that each one of you has for your beautiful new daughter/sister.

    Ahhh the memories the sights of Guangdong Civil Affairs office and The Garden bring back...moments to treasure for a lifetime. Enjoy each one together!

    Much Love, Continued Prayers and Great Big Joyful Hugs for Each One of You!

    Always,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you guys! Thanks again for thaking the time to share with us...what an awesome experience. I'm sure you know that your tears aren't the only ones falling through this adventure...but what awesome tears of joy!!!

    ReplyDelete